Govee light bulbs are great smart devices that can enhance your home lighting and ambiance. However, sometimes they may encounter some Wi-Fi connection issues that can affect their performance and functionality. If you’re having problems getting your Govee light bulb connected to Wi-Fi, this is the right page for you.
In this post, I’ll walk you through the steps you need to follow to troubleshoot Govee Light Bulb Not Connecting to Wi-Fi. Let’s head right into it. So here are some troubleshooting tips to try if your Govee Light Bulb won’t connect to your home Wi-Fi network:
How to Troubleshoot Govee Light Bulb Not Connecting to Wi-Fi
If you’re having issues connecting your Govee Light Bulb to Wi-Fi, below are some tips you can try to fix the problem. The information below is what some customers have tried and confirmed helped them fix the problem with their bulb. Follow the tips below carefully to see which one enables you to resolve the issue:
1. Power the Bulb
The first thing to do when your Govee light bulb is not connecting to Wi-Fi is to make sure that the bulb is powered on. Also, ensure your light bulb is receiving power from its power source.
If the bulb has power, then you need to power cycle it. Switch the bulb on and off 5 times to enter breathing mode and then try reconnecting it to Wi-Fi again.
Do this and see if this fixes the problem. If you’re still having the same issues, continue the next troubleshooting step.
2. Check Your Network Signal
You need to ensure that you have a strong network connection else, your light bulb will have issues connecting to Wi-Fi. Therefore, ensure that the Wi-Fi network is strong and not fluctuating.
To increase your network signal or strength, move your router closer to your bulb. If you’re having a network downtime, reboot your router and see if this stabilizes the network signal.
You may get a Wi-Fi extender to increase the range and coverage of your Wi-Fi network.
3. Check the Distance Between the Bulb and Router
You need to check and ensure that the distance between your router and the bulb is not much. Also, during connection, ensure that your mobile device is in the same environment as your bulb and router.
The Wi-Fi connection distance should be within 50ft. Your mobile device, router, and bulb should be within proximity during the Wi-Fi connection setup.
This increases your chances of getting your smart bulb connected to Wi-Fi without hassles. Do this and see if this fixes your connectivity issues or try the next troubleshooting guideline below.
4. Ensure You’re Running the 2.4GHz Network Bandwidth
Govee Light Bulbs work with the 2.4GHz network bandwidth only. Please set a different SSID for the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi and 5GHz Wi-Fi if you have a dual-band router.
The SSID (Service Set Identifier) is the name of your wireless network, also known as Network ID. If you’re using a dual-band router, go to your Wi-Fi connection settings and ensure you use different names for the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz band.
Doing this will let you quickly identify when you’re trying to connect your bulb to a 5GHz network bandwidth instead of the working 2.4GHz band. Now, check to see if you’ve been connecting to a 5GHz bandwidth instead of the 2.4GHz bandwidth.
If everything looks good but you’re still having a hard time getting your Govee Light Bulb connected to Wi-Fi, check the next troubleshooting tip.
5. Reset the Light Bulb
If none of the troubleshooting guidelines above solves your problem, then resetting your Govee Light Bulb is your best bet to fixing the connectivity issue.
To reset your Govee Light Bulb, follow the steps below:
- Press the middle button on the control box four times.
- Hold the power button while pressing the middle button on the control box.
- Unplug the bulb from its power source and wait for about 10 minutes.
- Re-plug your smart bulb, and switch it on.
Now, try reconnecting your smart bulb to Wi-Fi.
If all the above steps fail, please unscrew the bulb or remove it from power. Do the following:
- Unplug the bulb and wait for some hours
- While waiting, locate the Govee app on your phone and delete or remove it.
- Re-plug your smart bulb and then try reconnecting to Wi-Fi.
Ensure you enter the correct Wi-Fi password or credentials during setup.
Govee Light Bulb Wi-Fi Connection Timeout
One of the common issues that users face is the Wi-Fi connection timeout. This means that the Govee app cannot connect to the light bulb within a specific time limit, and the connection fails.
There are several reasons why this may happen, such as:
- The light bulb is too far from the router, or obstacles are blocking the signal.
- The router is overloaded or has a weak signal.
- The router is using a different frequency band than the light bulb (5GHz/2.4GHz).
- The router has a firewall or security settings that prevent the light bulb from connecting.
- The light bulb or the app is not updated to the latest version.
To fix this issue, you can try the following steps:
- Make sure that the light bulb is within the Wi-Fi range of the router and that no obstacles are blocking the signal. You can also move the light bulb closer to the router or change its location.
- Restart your router and your phone. This can help clear any network issues or cache problems that may affect the connection.
- Check your router settings and make sure that it is using the 2.4 GHz frequency band, which is compatible with the Govee light bulb. You can also change the channel of your router to avoid interference from other devices.
- Turn off any firewall or security settings on your router that may block the light bulb from connecting. You can also try adding the light bulb to the whitelist of your router if it has one.
- Update your light bulb and your app to the latest version. This can help fix any bugs or compatibility issues that may cause the connection to time out.
Govee Connect to Wi-Fi Manually
If you still cannot connect your Govee light bulb to Wi-Fi after trying the above steps, you can try to connect it manually. This means that you will use your phone as a hotspot to connect to the light bulb and then switch it to your home Wi-Fi network. To do this, you need to follow these steps:
- Turn on your phone’s hotspot and set a password for it. Make sure that your phone’s hotspot is using the 2.4 GHz frequency band and has a strong signal.
- Reset your light bulb by turning it on and off three times quickly until it flashes rapidly.
- Open the Govee app, tap on the “+” icon to add a new device, select “Lighting,” and then select “H6003.”
- Tap on “AP Mode” at the top right corner of the screen and follow the instructions to connect your phone to the light bulb’s hotspot.
- Once connected, tap on “Next” and select your home Wi-Fi network from the list. Enter your Wi-Fi password and tap on “Confirm.”
- Wait for a few seconds until the app shows that the connection is successful. You can now control your light bulb via Wi-Fi.
Govee Keeps Disconnecting Wi-Fi
If you’re experiencing issues with your Govee light bulbs disconnecting from Wi-Fi randomly or frequently, it can be frustrating and impact your smart home experience.
There are several potential causes for this problem, including the light bulb not being screwed in properly, an unstable or interrupted power supply, the router rebooting or resetting itself, changing the IP address or DHCP settings, and switching between different frequency bands.
To fix this problem. Ensure that the light bulb is tightly secured in the socket. If that doesn’t work, try changing the socket or using a different lamp. Also, check your power supply to ensure that it’s stable and uninterrupted. You can use a surge protector or an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) to protect your devices from power fluctuations.
Another solution is to restart your router and phone. This can help refresh your network connection and resolve any temporary issues. You should also check your router’s settings to ensure that it has a fixed IP address and DHCP settings for your devices. You can reserve an IP address for your light bulb on your router if it supports this feature.
Finally, check your router settings to ensure that it’s not automatically switching between different frequency bands. You can turn off the 5 GHz band or use a separate router for your smart devices. By following these steps, you can resolve any connectivity issues with your Govee light bulbs and enjoy a seamless smart home experience.
How to Change Wi-Fi on Govee Lights
If you want to change the Wi-Fi network that your Govee light bulbs are connected to, you need to reset them and reconnect them to the new network. This is useful if you move to a new place or change your router. To do this, you need to follow these steps:
- Reset your light bulb by turning it on and off three times quickly until it flashes rapidly.
- Open the Govee app and tap on “+” to add a new device. Select “Lighting” and then “H6003”.
- Tap on “EZ Mode” at the top right corner of the screen and follow the instructions to connect your phone to the light bulb via Bluetooth.
- Once connected, tap on “Next” and select your new Wi-Fi network from the list. Enter your Wi-Fi password and tap on “Confirm”.
- Wait for a few seconds until the app shows that the connection is successful. You can now control your light bulb via the new Wi-Fi network.
Govee H6008 Won’t Connect to Wi-Fi
The Govee H6008 is a newer model of the Govee light bulb that has some additional features, such as music sync and scene modes. However, some users may have trouble connecting it to Wi-Fi, especially if they have an older router or a mesh network. To fix this issue, you can try these steps:
- In the Govee app, delete the H6008 bulbs from the list of devices. (If both light bulbs appear in the list, delete them.)
- Re-install the Govee app. Then log-in to your Govee account.
- Give Govee permission to allow it to connect to your location “while using the app.” (I have an iphone) not sure if Android is different. The key is to allow the Govee app to connect to your location while in use.
- Then, restart your mobile phone and also reboot your router.
- Go back to the Govee app and try to install the H6008 again. Follow the screen instructions, and that should do the trick. Make sure you’re on your 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi frequency before you open the Govee app.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Why Won’t My Govee Connect to WI-FI?
One possible reason why your Govee won’t connect to WI-FI is that your router is using a 5GHz band, which is incompatible with Govee devices. You need to switch to a 2.4GHz band or use a different SSID for each band. Another possible reason is that you haven’t connected your phone to the Govee hotspot, which is required for the initial setup.
Why Are My Govee Lights Not Connecting Anymore?
If your Govee lights were working fine before but suddenly stopped connecting, you may need to reset them by holding the power button and pressing the middle button four times. You may also need to check your WI-FI network and make sure it is functional and stable.
How Do I Reconnect Govee to WI-FI?
To reconnect your Govee to WI-FI, you need to follow the same steps as the initial setup:
- Open the Govee app and select the device you want to reconnect.
- Choose your WI-FI network and enter the password.
- Connect your phone to the Govee hotspot and wait for the app to sync the device and the network.
Does Govee Work With WI-FI?
Yes, Govee works with WI-FI, but only with 2.4GHz networks. You can use the Govee app to control your devices remotely and access various features such as timers, scenes, music mode, etc.
Does Govee Use Wi-Fi or Bluetooth?
Govee uses both WI-FI and Bluetooth for different purposes. WI-FI is used for remote control and cloud services, while Bluetooth is used for local control and pairing with other devices.
There you have it, all the steps to help you fix your Govee Light Bulb not connecting to Wi-Fi. Ensure to try out all the troubleshooting guidelines to see which one helps in fixing the problem.
If everything else fails or you’re still having difficulties, contact the Govee support team for help. You may also consider replacing your smart bulb as a last resort. Click here to get the original from Amazon