If you’re having issues with your YI Home Security Camera, you’re in luck, as this article is a full troubleshooting guide that will fix common issues with your security camera.
In this article, we will discuss the common issues you’re experiencing or may experience while using the YI Home Security Camera and provide a step-by-step guide to troubleshooting them.
The most common issues that users face while using the YI Home Security Camera are:
- Offline camera
- The live feed is not working
- Motion detection is not working
- Two-way audio is not working
- Not recording to SD card
- Camera lag or freezing
- The app is not working; others will be mentioned and troubleshooted in this article.
YI Home Security Camera Offline
If your YI Home Security Camera is offline, follow these steps:
- Check if the camera is powered on and connected to the internet. Make sure the camera and power cable are plugged into a working outlet. Also, turn off your camera, then turn it back on if the problem persists.
- Check if your Wi-Fi network is working correctly. If your network is malfunctioning, your camera will not be online. So, ensure that you maintain a good network connection and that the camera is within the Wi-Fi range.
- Ensure no obstructions block the signal between the router and the camera.
- Move the camera next to your router. Unplug the power cable and plug it back in if you use a wired camera and not a wire-free (battery) camera.
YI Home Security Camera Live Feed Not Working
If the live feed from your YI Home Security Camera is not working, follow these steps:
- Check if the camera is powered on and connected to the internet. Also, ensure your Wi-Fi network works correctly and your camera is within the Wi-Fi range.
- Restart the camera if the above doesn’t help; this will help fix any bugs or firmware issues within the camera device firmware. Also, ensure that your camera device firmware is up-to-date.
- When viewing the recorded video in Alerts or the Cloud, check if the speaker icon below the video has been muted. Click on the muted speaker button to listen to the audio.
YI Home Security Camera Motion Detection Not Working
If the motion detection feature of your YI Home Security Camera is not working, follow these steps:
- Check if the motion detection feature is enabled in the camera settings. By default, Motion Detection is disabled for all YI and Kami wired cameras. To receive notifications or alerts, you must manually enable motion detection for your camera or put the camera in Away mode. If you haven’t done either of these, Motion Detection will remain disabled, and you won’t receive any notifications or alerts.
- Make sure that your device has power. You can also increase the sensitivity of the motion detection within the app.
- Check if the camera is within the Wi-Fi range and the network works correctly. Restart the camera and try again to see if this fixes the problem.
YI Home Security Camera Two-Way Audio Not Working
If the two-way audio feature of your YI Home Security Camera is not working, follow these steps:
- Check if the two-way audio feature is enabled in the camera settings.
- Check if the speaker icon is muted when viewing recorded videos in alerts or the cloud. To listen to the audio, click on the speaker icon.
- If you cannot hear audio despite ensuring that the speaker is not muted, the camera microphone is likely disabled. To enable it, go to the app home screen and click on the hexagon symbol inside the camera thumbnail. From there, navigate to the Settings section and click on Camera Settings. You will then see a grey toggle switch next to the camera microphone. Click on it to enable the microphone, and the toggle switch will turn green once enabled.
YI Home Security Camera Not Recording to SD Card
If your YI Home Security Camera is not recording to the SD card, follow these steps:
- Ensure the SD card is compatible, not damaged, or infected with a virus. You can also try reinserting the card, unlocking it, or formatting it.
- Check if the SD card is compatible with the camera. If the SD card is inconsistent, change to another compatible SD card.
- Check if the SD card is full. If the SD card is full, delete some videos or recordings that you no longer need. Alternatively, reset the SD to fix any bugs or virus within its firmware.
YI Home Security Camera Lag or Freezing
If your YI Home Security Camera is lagging or freezing, follow these steps:
- Check if the camera is within the WiFi range and your WiFi network works correctly.
- Update your phone software to the latest version and ensure it is connected to the same WiFi network as your security camera.
- Reset the camera to factory defaults using a paper clip and press the reset button.
- Delete the camera from the YI Home application and pair the camera again.
- Uninstall/Reinstall the YI Home app, and then try pairing the camera with the app again and see if this fixes.
YI Home Security Camera App Not Working
If the YI Home app is not working, follow these tips to troubleshoot:
- Check if the app is up-to-date.
- Check if your phone is connected to the internet.
- Check if your phone has enough storage space. Remove some files and videos you no longer need to create space and free some memory to improve your device’s performance.
- Clear the cache and data of the app, and this will help improve the app’s performance. This should fix the problem of the app not opening or loading.
- As a final resort, uninstall and reinstall the app. This should fix and resolve any issues you’re having.
YI Home Security Camera Notifications Not Working
If the notifications from your YI Home Security Camera are not working, follow these steps:
- Check if the notification feature is enabled in the YI Home app. Also, ensure you allow the app to send notifications from your smartphone’s settings.
- Check if your phone is connected to the internet. The app won’t send notifications if both devices are not connected to the internet on the same network.
- Check the notification settings within the YI Home App. To adjust your alert notification settings, select Settings > Smart Detection Settings. Test your settings and adjust accordingly to find a good balance for your setup.
- Ensure that you enable motion detection within the app. When you allow this, the app will notify you once it detects motion on your property.
YI Home Security Camera No Audio
If there is no audio from your YI Home Security Camera, follow these steps:
- Check if the volume is turned up on your phone and the microphone/Audio settings are not muted within the app settings.
- Check if the two-way audio feature is enabled in the camera settings.
- Check if the camera is within the Wi-Fi range and the network connection is strong and not lagging. Restart your router to improve the internet connection.
- Restart the camera and wait about a minute or two before turning it back ON. This should fix the NO Audio issue if it’s a software issue.
If you tried the tips above and none worked, you may likely have a device issue; contact the YI Home’s support team for further assistance.
YI Home Security Camera Not Panning or Tilting
If your YI Home Security Camera is not panning or tilting, follow these tips to fix the problem:
- Check if the camera is connected to WiFi and is within the Wi-Fi range. Do not exceed 300 feet. You can add a WiFi extender to improve the connection.
- Check if the camera is mounted correctly.
- Turn off the camera and wait for about 60 seconds before turning it on, then see if this refreshes the device firmware.
YI Home Security Camera Poor Night Vision
If the night vision of your YI Home Security Camera is poor, try the following troubleshooting:
- Check if the camera lens is clean. Clean it to be sure no dirt is covering the lens.
- Check if the camera is within the range of your router and the network is working correctly.
- Check if the infrared lights are working correctly.
- Restart the camera to see if this corrects the image or video you’re receiving.
How to Factory Reset YI Home Security Camera
If you need to factory reset your YI Home Security Camera, follow these steps:
- Find the reset button on the back of the camera. It’s on the upper-left side of the QR code.
- Press and hold the reset button using a paperclip, pin, or thin needle.
- Hold the button for five to ten seconds.
- Release the button and wait for the camera to reboot.
- The camera will give a voice prompt, or the yellow light will turn on to indicate that the reset was successful.
The reset is successful when the yellow light is on or you hear the voice, “Reset is successful.”
In conclusion, the YI Home Security Camera is an excellent device that provides peace of mind by keeping an eye on your home or properties. However, like any other electronic device, it can sometimes malfunction. We discussed the common issues users face while using the YI Home Security Camera and provided a step-by-step guide to troubleshoot them.
Read more about YI Camera Connectivity issues if you’re having issues connecting your device to Alexa or Google Assistant for tips to help fix these issues and more.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Is My Yi Home Camera Not Working?
If your YI Home Security Camera is not working, it could be due to one of the following reasons: your Camera doesn’t have internet access, or your Camera doesn’t have power. To fix this, ensure you’re connected to a working internet connection, and the signal strength is full. Also, ensure the Camera is connected to an active power source or the battery is fully charged and not low.
How Do I Get My Yi Home Camera Back Online?
To get your YI Home Security Camera back online:
- Reboot your router.
- If that doesn’t fix the problem, reset your router to restore the network connection to its default settings.
- Open the Yi Home app and remove the Camera from it, then re-add it to the app, and your Camera should come online.
- Always maintain a stable internet connection to keep your Camera online.
How Do I Reconnect My Yi Home Camera?
To reconnect your YI Home Security Camera, follow these steps:
- Open the YI Home app.
- Tap on the camera icon.
- Tap on the settings icon.
- Tap on “Wi-Fi Settings.”
- Select your Wi-Fi network and enter the password.
Where Is the Reset Button on a Yi Home Camera?
The reset button on a YI Home Security Camera is located at the back of the Camera; you’ll have to remove the back cover and use a paper clip or pin to press the reset button to perform a factory reset.
How Do I Turn My Yi Camera Back On?
To turn your YI Home Security Camera back on, press the power button on the camera or disconnect it from power and reconnect it to power.
How Do I Know if My Yi Camera Is On?
If the status light on your YI Home Security Camera is solid yellow, it means it is on and working correctly.