Are you having trouble connecting your Arlo Essential Spotlight Camera to your Wi-Fi network, smartphone app, or smart home devices? If so, you are not alone. It’s common to have issues with the Arlo Essential Spotlight Cameras, affecting the performance and functionality of these wireless security cameras.
This guide will assist you in troubleshooting your Arlo Essential Spotlight Camera not connecting issues and resolving other common problems. By following the instructions and tips provided in this guide, you can solve most of the connectivity issues with your Arlo Essential Spotlight Camera.
Let’s get started!
Arlo Essential Spotlight Camera Not Connecting to Wi-Fi
To troubleshoot and fix Wi-Fi connection issues with your Arlo Essential Spotlight Camera, you can try the following tips:
- Check the Wi-Fi signal strength on your camera. You can do this by opening the Arlo app on your smartphone, tapping the Settings icon, and then tapping Device Info. You should see a Wi-Fi icon with bars indicating the signal strength. If the signal is weak or missing, move your camera closer to your router or extender or use a different Wi-Fi channel or frequency band.
- Reset the Wi-Fi settings on the camera. Go to Device Settings > Reset Device > Reset Wi-Fi Settings in the Arlo app. This will erase any existing Wi-Fi info and allow you to set it up again from scratch.
- Check the firmware version of your camera. You can do this by opening the Arlo app on your smartphone, tapping the Settings icon, and then tapping Device Info. You should see a firmware icon with a version number indicating the firmware version. If the firmware version is not the latest, you may need to update your camera’s firmware.
If none of the above steps work, you may need to contact Arlo customer support for further assistance.
Arlo Essential Spotlight Camera Not Connecting to the App
If you’re having issues getting your Arlo camera to connect with the Arlo app, try these tips:
- Reinstall the Arlo app. Sometimes, a fresh install can resolve odd connectivity bugs. Uninstall the app, then download the latest version from the App Store or Google Play. Set up your account and try adding the camera again.
- The Arlo app needs location permission to discover cameras on your local network. Go into your phone’s settings, enable location access for the Arlo app, and then retry the setup.
- To rule out device-specific problems, connect the camera to a different mobile device, like a spare phone or tablet. Borrow one if needed to test the camera.
- Make sure you’re logged in to the Arlo app on your device. Your smartphone or tablet must also be connected to the internet to communicate with the app. If your smartphone or tablet is not connected to the internet, you cannot access or control your camera from the app.
Arlo Essential Spotlight Camera Not Connecting to Alexa
Alexa support lets you view your Arlo cameras using Echo Show devices and voice commands. But if linking isn’t working right, here are some fixes:
- Ensure the Arlo skill is enabled in the Alexa app under Skills & Games. Check its permissions to ensure you correctly gave Alexa all the required access.
- Unlink and relink the Alexa skill. Go to the Arlo skill in Alexa, click Unlink, select Link Account, and sign in again with your Arlo login. Enter any setup codes requested.
- Adjusting your router settings if the connection issues persist, you may need to change settings on your router, such as enabling UPnP, multicast, and IGMP. Refer to your router user manual for the exact steps to take.
- Make sure your camera is connected to Wi-Fi. Also, make sure your Alexa device is connected to the internet. Your Alexa device must also be connected to the internet to communicate with Alexa. If your Alexa device is not connected to the internet, you cannot access or control your camera from Alexa.
Arlo Essential Spotlight Camera Not Connecting to Google Home
To fix this issue, you can try the following solutions:
- Make sure your camera is connected to Wi-Fi. Your camera needs to be connected to Wi-Fi to communicate with Google Home. If your camera is not connected to Wi-Fi, you cannot access or control it from Google Home. Also, make sure your Google Home device is connected to the internet.
- Restart your Google Home device by unplugging it from the power source, waiting a few minutes, and plugging it back in. You can also restart your router or modem or contact your internet service provider for assistance.
- Reset your Google Home device following the instructions in the user manual, then try reconnecting with your camera once the reset is complete. Also, ensure a stable internet connection is maintained during the process.
Arlo Essential Spotlight Camera Not Connecting to Apple HomeKit
Try these HomeKit troubleshooting tips:
- Old iOS versions can cause HomeKit connectivity issues. Ensure your iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV is updated to the latest iOS or tvOS software for best results and to rule out any possible software or firmware issues that will cause connectivity issues..
- Make sure your Apple device is connected to the internet. Your Apple device must also be connected to the internet to communicate with Apple HomeKit.
- Check the HomeKit codes. Go to Device Settings > HomeKit in the Arlo app and verify the setup code matches what’s shown in Apple’s Home app during linking.
- Link your Arlo account to your Apple ID. Your Arlo account and your Apple ID need to be linked to enable the integration between your camera and Apple HomeKit. If your Arlo account and your Apple ID are not linked, you cannot connect to your camera from Apple HomeKit. To link your Arlo account to your Apple ID, follow these steps:
- Open the Arlo app on your smartphone or tablet, tap the Settings icon, and then tap HomeKit.
- Tap the Add HomeKit button and sign in with your Apple ID credentials.
- Tap the Allow button to grant Apple HomeKit access to your Arlo devices and settings.
- Tap the Done button to complete the linking process.
Arlo Essential Spotlight Camera Not Connecting to SmartThings
If you’re facing issues with your Arlo Essential Spotlight Camera not connecting to Wi-Fi, here are some steps you can follow to fix the problem:
- Make sure that your camera is connected to Wi-Fi. Without a Wi-Fi connection, you won’t be able to access or control your camera from SmartThings.
- Ensure that your SmartThings hub or device is connected to the internet. Without an internet connection, your SmartThings device won’t be able to communicate with SmartThings.
- If you’re using an outdated or corrupted version of the Arlo app, it can cause connection issues with SmartThings. To fix this, try updating your Arlo app to the latest version available on the App Store or Google Play Store.
Arlo Essential Spotlight Camera Not Connecting to IFTTT
If your Arlo Essential Spotlight camera isn’t triggering IFTTT applets, try the following tips to troubleshoot the connection:
- Ensure your Arlo camera is connected to your Wi-Fi network as expected. Also, confirm that your IFTTT account is online by checking its connection status in the IFTTT mobile app. Internet access is required for both services to communicate.
- Outdated apps can disrupt integrations. Install the latest updates for the IFTTT and Arlo apps on your mobile device or tablet. Newer versions may have resolved bugs affecting connectivity.
- Re-link Accounts. In the IFTTT app, re-link your Arlo account by tapping the Arlo service, then “Connect,” sign in to your Arlo account again, and allow access. Then, re-create any desired Arlo applets from scratch.
- Change the Camera Names. To do this, Log in to the Arlo app, go to Device Settings for your camera, and edit the name to something simple. Then, in IFTTT applets, update the camera name to match exactly what you set in the Arlo app.
- Try triggering different Arlo automation applets like motion alerts or battery notifications. Check the IFTTT and Arlo apps to confirm your test applets are working correctly between services. Delete the whole automation and set it up again.
If Arlo connectivity problems continue despite troubleshooting, you may need further assistance from Arlo or IFTTT support. But in most cases, these simple steps should get your camera communicating smoothly for your smart home automation.
How to Reset Arlo Essential Spotlight Camera
To reset your Arlo Essential Spotlight Camera, press and hold the Sync Button on the camera for approximately 15 seconds. After 15 seconds, wait and ensure the camera’s LED light rapidly blinks blue, then release the button. Once you have done this, your camera will be reset to its original factory settings.
How to Reconnect My Arlo Essential Spotlight Camera to Wi-Fi
If your camera is disconnected from Wi-Fi, you can try to reconnect it by following these steps:
- Ensure your camera is powered on and within your Wi-Fi router or access point range.
- Open the Arlo app on your smartphone or tablet, tap the Settings icon, and then tap My Devices.
- Tap your camera’s name and then tap Device Info.
- Tap the Wi-Fi Network option and then tap Change Wi-Fi Network.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to reconnect your camera to your Wi-Fi network.
In this article, I have shown you how to troubleshoot and resolve the most common connection issues you may face with your Arlo Essential Spotlight Camera. By following this guide, you can fix any connection issues you may be having with your Arlo Essential Spotlight Camera.
However, if you still have issues, don’t hesitate to contact Arlo Essential’s support team for further assistance.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Use Arlo Essential Without Subscription?
Yes, you can use the Arlo Essential Spotlight Camera without a subscription. You can still access and control your camera from the Arlo app, view the live feed, take snapshots, record videos, turn the spotlight on or off, and more.
However, with a subscription, you can enjoy some of the advanced features and benefits Arlo offers, such as Cloud storage for your videos and snapshots.
Does the Arlo Essential Spotlight Camera Need Wi-Fi?
Yes, the Arlo Essential Spotlight Camera needs Wi-Fi to work correctly. The camera uses Wi-Fi to communicate with your devices and platforms, such as your smartphone, tablet, computer, Alexa, Google Home, Apple HomeKit, SmartThings, and IFTTT. Without Wi-Fi, you cannot access or control your camera from these devices and platforms.
Can Arlo Essential Connect to Wi-Fi?
Yes, the Arlo Essential Spotlight Camera can connect to Wi-Fi. As mentioned above, the camera needs Wi-Fi to work properly and communicate with your devices and platforms.
How Long Does Arlo Battery Last?
The Arlo Essential Spotlight Camera has a rechargeable battery that can last for up to 6 months on a single charge, depending on the usage and settings of your camera. Your camera’s battery life can be affected by various factors, such as settings, usage, recording frequency, and environmental temperatures.
How Long Does an Arlo Essential Camera Last?
The Arlo Essential Spotlight is designed to withstand long-term outdoor use in all seasons. With modest use, proper installation, and battery replacements every 1-2 years, it can function for 5+ years before needing full replacement. The camera also has a rechargeable battery that can last for up to 6 months on a single charge, depending on the usage and settings of your camera.