Your lights and devices are completely under your control with the Wemo Smart Plug with Thread. With the help of your iPhone, iPad, Wemo Stage, or Siri, you can turn them on and off from anywhere.
Just like every smart home gadget, you may encounter some problems during usage or set up. If you have issues already, this article has got you covered!
Continue reading if you’re having issues with your Wemo Smart Plug and the troubleshooting tips below may help you fix the problem.
Let’s get right into it!
How to set up and Connect WeMo Smart Plug to Bluetooth
Here’s how to set up your smart plug via Bluetooth;
- Unbox your smart plug, plug it into power and switch it on.
- Put the Smart Plug in pairing mode by pressing the power button for some seconds until the indicator lights blink
- Download the WeMo app from the play store or the app store, register, and log in with your account details.
- On the Homepage of the app, search for Smart Plugs and tap on it.
- Turn on Bluetooth on your mobile device. Bluetooth will search and connect to your smart plug and the indicator light should stop to blink after a successful connection.
- Follow the in-app instructions to complete the setup and link your smart plug to the app using Bluetooth.
After a successful connection, you can now control your smart plug through the app using Bluetooth.
Note; Bluetooth connection may be slow and may not cover a wide or long range. Hence, you need to stay within the range of your smart plug to control it.
If you had issues connecting via Bluetooth, the tips below should help you fix the problem;
How to Fix WeMo Smart Plug Not Connecting to Bluetooth
Follow the tips below to troubleshoot your WeMo Smart Plug, not connecting to Bluetooth;
1. Reboot the Smart Plug
Disconnect all devices plugged into the smart plug and remove it from power. Allow it to rest for a while before attempting to reconnect again.
This helps to fix minor bugs and issues within the smart plug. Try this and see if it works, if it doesn’t, continue the next troubleshooting tip.
2. Update Firmware
The firmware for Wemo devices is routinely updated with bug fixes, security updates, and performance improvements. This keeps your Wemo functioning at its best.
Check your app store for updates on the app or update the smart plug from the WeMo app. To do this, follow the steps below; u
- Download and open the WeMo app.
- Tap on Update Available to see what updates you have.
- If you find a new firmware update, tap on UPDATE to start the update.
- Tap Done when the update is complete
Now try reconnecting again to see if this fixes the problem.
3. Ensure you’re within range
Since Bluetooth can’t cover a wide range, you need to stay very close to your smart plug during setup. If you stay very far away from the smart plug, you may not connect.
It is advisable to stay within 3 feet of the smart during connection and set up, as this helps to remove every obstruction and interference between other devices during connection.
How to Connect WeMo Smart Plug to HomeKit
Here’s how to set up your WeMo Plug to Apple HomeKit;
Step 1: Download the Apple Home app from the app store,
Step 2: Plug in your Wemo Smart Plug to an outlet and power it up.
Step 3: Press the power button or wait for the indicator light on the plug to blink white and orange.
Step 4: Launch the Apple Home app and log in with your account details. Create a new account if you’re a new user.
Step 5: Add your Wemo Smart Plug to the Home app.
Step 6: Scan the HomeKit setup code on the user manual that came with the plug when prompted. The plug itself may carry the code.
Finished the setup configuration to control your smart plug with the Apple Homekit.
How to Fix WeMo Smart Plug Not Connecting to HomeKit
These are steps to fix a WeMo that won’t connect to Homekit:
- You must have a Wemo account and the most recent version of the Wemo app on your smartphone. Check for updates and install them if you find any.
- Check if your WeMo Smart Plug supports the Apple Homekit. You can check this by looking for the Homekit code on the user manual or the plug. If you can’t find any, there may be chances your device doesn’t support HomeKit, contact support for help.
- You may not have finished the setup within the allotted 15 minutes. Before attempting to set it up again, unplug the smart plug, plug it back in, and wait for a while until the indicator light alternates between two colors.
- Factory reset the smart plug. Remove the smart plug from power, plug it back in and hold the power button for about 5 seconds until the plug comes back on. Now, try reconnecting back to Homekit.
How to Connect WeMo Smart Plug to WeMo Stage
The WeMo Stage device will only work on the Apple Homekit app, connecting WeMo Stage to Homekit will enable you to control your smart plug with remote control.
- Download the Homekit app if you do not have it already, register an account and log in.
- Pair the WeMo Stage device with the Homekit app by tapping the + icon and searching for the WeMo Stage device.
- Scan the Homekit code or scan the code on your device
- Choose the room in which you want to use the WeMo state device.
- Complete the setup and your WeMo Stage device should be available on the Apple Homekit app.
Alternatively, you can wave your compatible iPhone over the WeMo Stage device to use the NFC option and the pairing process will start immediately. Follow the in-app instructions to complete setup and pairing.
How to Fix WeMo Smart Plug Not Connecting to Wemo Stage
Here’s how to troubleshoot your WeMo Smart plug not connecting to WeMo Stage;
- Update the WeMo Stage device, log in to the Home app and check if updates are available, click on update all to update the device and try reconnecting again.
- Ensure that you’re running iOS version 14.5 and above. Any version lower than this may be the reason you’re unable to connect your smart plug to the Wemo stage.
- If you’re using an Android device, you won’t be able to connect as the WeMo Stage device requires the apple home app to connect, which is only available on iOS and macOS devices.
How to Connect WeMo Smart Plug to Apple Home App
Setting up your new Wemo Smart Plug with Thread with the Apple Home app is quick and easy using the code on the Smart plug or the user manual.
Step 1: Plug in your Wemo Smart Plug and press the power button.
Step 2: Wait for the light on the plug to alternately blink white and orange.
Step 3: Hold the upper back of your phone near the Wemo and follow the prompts that appear to complete the set up.
However, you can manually connect your smart plug to the Apple Home App by tapping the + sign on the homepage and then entering the Homekit code printed on the quick start guide to connect your smart plug.
How to Fix WeMo Smart Plug Not Connecting to Apple Home App
If you had issues connecting your smart plug to the Apple Home App, the tips below should help you fix the problem;
- Reboot the Smart Plug. Before attempting to set up the Wemo again after the initial failure, unplug it, plug it back in, and wait a minute when the light alternates between white and orange, and then try reconnecting again.
- Ensure your mobile device is up to date. Update your iPhone, iPad, or whichever iOS device to its latest version and try reconnecting back to Apple Home.
- Factory Reset Press and hold the power button for about 5 seconds until the Indicator light blinks white. After a successful reset, add your WeMo Smart Plug back to the Apple Home app.
Wemo Plug Not Responding to Homekit
If your Wemo smart plug is not responding to Homekit, try the following:
- Your Wemo plug is not compatible with Homekit. Not all Wemo devices support Homekit, so make sure you have a compatible model. You can check the list of compatible devices.
- Your Wemo plug is not connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your Homekit device. Homekit requires both devices to be on the same network for communication, so make sure your Wemo plug and your iPhone, iPad, or HomePod are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Your Wemo plug is not updated to the latest firmware. Sometimes, firmware updates can fix bugs and improve compatibility with Homekit, so make sure your Wemo plug has the latest firmware version. You can update your Wemo plug using the Wemo app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Your Wemo plug is not added to the Home app. To use your Wemo plug with Homekit, you need to add it to the Home app on your iOS device or Mac. You can do this by scanning the Homekit code on your Wemo plug or its packaging or by manually entering the code in the Home app.
If none of these solutions work, you can reset your Wemo plug and add it again to the Home app. To reset your Wemo plug, press and hold the power button for 10 seconds until the LED light flashes orange and white. Then, follow the instructions in the Home app to add your Wemo plug again.
Wemo Plug Not Detected After Power Outage
A power outage can cause some issues with your Wemo smart plug, such as not being detected by the Wemo app or by other devices. This can happen because the power outage can disrupt the Wi-Fi connection or reset the settings of your Wemo plug. To fix this problem, you can try the following steps:
- Check if your Wi-Fi router is working properly. If your router was also affected by the power outage, it might need some time to reboot and restore the Wi-Fi connection. Make sure your router is plugged in and has a stable internet connection.
- Check if your Wemo plug is powered on and connected to Wi-Fi. If your Wemo plug was unplugged or switched off during the power outage, it might need to be plugged in and turned on again. You can also check if your Wemo plug is connected to Wi-Fi by looking at the LED light on it. If the light is solid green, it means it is connected to Wi-Fi. If the light is blinking orange, it means it is trying to connect to Wi-Fi. If the light is off, it means it is not connected to Wi-Fi or powered on.
- Restart your Wemo plug and your smartphone or tablet. Sometimes, restarting both devices can help them reconnect and communicate with each other. To restart your Wemo plug, unplug it from the wall outlet and plug it back in after a few seconds. To restart your smartphone or tablet, turn it off and turn it back on after a few seconds.
- Reconnect your Wemo plug to the Wemo app. If your Wemo plug is still not detected by the Wemo app after restarting both devices, you might need to reconnect it to the app. To do this, open the Wemo app on your smartphone or tablet and tap on “Add a Device.” Then, follow the instructions on the screen to connect your Wemo plug to the app.
Wemo Smart Plug Not Detected in the Wemo App
If you have a Wemo smart plug that is not detected in the Wemo app, you might be unable to control it remotely or use its features. This can be frustrating and inconvenient, especially if you rely on your smart plug for automation or scheduling. There are a few possible reasons why your Wemo smart plug might not show up in the Wemo app, such as:
- Your smartphone or tablet is not connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data. The Wemo app requires an internet connection to communicate with your smart plug, so make sure your smartphone or tablet has a reliable internet connection.
- Your smartphone or tablet is running an outdated version of the Wemo app. Sometimes, updating the app can fix bugs and improve performance, so make sure you have the latest version of the Wemo app installed on your device. You can check for updates in the App Store or Google Play Store.
- Your smart plug is too far away from your router or needs a stronger Wi-Fi signal. The distance and interference between your smart plug and your router can affect the Wi-Fi connection and the detection of your smart plug. To improve the Wi-Fi signal, you can move your smart plug closer to your router or use a Wi-Fi extender or repeater.
- Your smart plug is not registered to your Wemo account. To use your smart plug with the Wemo app, you need to register it to your Wemo account. You can do this by creating a Wemo account or signing in with an existing one in the Wemo app. Then, you can add your smart plug to your account by following the instructions on the screen.
If none of these solutions work, you can reset your smart plug and add it again to the Wemo app. To reset your smart plug, press and hold the power button for 10 seconds until the LED light flashes orange and white. Then, open the Wemo app and tap on “Add a Device.” Follow the instructions on the screen to add your smart plug again.
Wemo App Not Working
If you have a problem with the Wemo app not working properly, you might experience some issues, such as:
- The app crashes or freezes when you open it or try to use it.
- The app does not load or display correctly on your screen.
- The app does not respond to your commands or actions.
- The app does not show your devices or their status.
These issues can be annoying and prevent you from using your Wemo devices effectively. Try the tips below to troubleshoot:
- Your smartphone or tablet needs more battery, storage, or memory. These factors can affect the performance and functionality of the app, so make sure your device has enough power, space, and RAM to run the app smoothly.
- Your smartphone or tablet is running an incompatible operating system or device model. The Wemo app is designed to work with certain operating systems and device models, so make sure your device meets the minimum requirements for the app. You can check the compatibility of your device [here].
- Your smartphone or tablet has a software glitch or a virus. Sometimes, software errors or malware can interfere with the app and cause it to malfunction. To fix this, you can try updating your device’s software, scanning it for viruses, or restoring it to factory settings.
- Your smartphone or tablet has a hardware problem or damage. Sometimes, physical problems or damage to your device’s hardware can affect the app and cause it to fail. To fix this, you can try cleaning your device’s ports, speakers, and microphone, replacing its battery or screen, or taking it to a repair shop.
If none of these solutions work, you can uninstall and reinstall the Wemo app on your device. To uninstall the app, go to your device’s settings and find the app in the list of installed apps. Tap on it and select “Uninstall”. To reinstall the app, go to the App Store or Google Play Store and search for “Wemo.” Tap on “Install” and follow the instructions on the screen.
There you have set up guides and troubleshooting tips to help fix your WeMo Smart Plug. Ensure to try all the troubleshooting tips to get your smart plug up and running.
Do remember that this smart plug is Bluetooth enabled and doesn’t support Wi-Fi. Also, most of the apps for connection are only available on iOS and macOS devices. If you have other brands of smart plugs and they are giving you issues, checkout Smart Plug Not Connecting to see tips on how to fix any issues you may be having.
If the issue persists, contact WeMo support for help or get a replacement. Click here to buy the original from Amazon
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. Wemo Smart Plug With Thread, What Is the Thread
The WeMo Smart plug with thread is made only for smart home networking. All of your accessories can be connected more quickly and securely thanks to the thread.
The most recent and innovative connection technology available now is called thread technology. It was created expressly for networking in smart homes. It gives a quicker, more dependable connection for all of your gadgets. Learn more about Thread here
Q. Will It Work With 5G WI-FI?
The WeMo Smart Plug is not Wi-Fi compatible, rather It offers wireless device control using Bluetooth and the newest Thread technology.
Q. Can the Wemo Stage Controller Be Used With Android Devices?
No, the Apple Home app is necessary to set up the Wemo stage controller. iOS and macOS devices are the only platforms that support the Apple Home app.
Q. Why Is My Wemo Smart Plug Not Responding?
Below are a few reasons why your plug is not responding and how to troubleshoot:
- Your smart plug is not powered on or plugged in properly. Make sure your smart plug is securely plugged into a working wall outlet and that its power button is turned on.
- Your smart plug is not connected to Wi-Fi or has a poor Wi-Fi signal. Make sure your smart plug is within range of your router and that it has a solid green LED light indicating a Wi-Fi connection. If the light is blinking orange, try moving your smart plug closer to your router or using a Wi-Fi extender or repeater.
- Your smart plug is not updated to the latest firmware. Sometimes, firmware updates can fix bugs and improve functionality, so make sure your smart plug has the latest firmware version. You can update your smart plug using the Wemo app on your smartphone or tablet.
Q. Why Is My Wemo Plug Blinking Orange?
An orange blinking light on your Wemo smart plug means it is not connected to your local Wi-Fi network. Try power cycling the plug, moving it closer to your router, and making sure your mobile device is on the same 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network during setup. The orange light indicates the plug has power but is not connected to Wi-Fi.